Sunday, April 22, 2018

Life Lessons

I've been experimenting with having my students play around with different writing structures (beyond the five-paragraph essay). My guinea pig children tested out this writing structure tonight:

I BELIEVED THIS...
SO I DID THIS...
WHICH MADE ME REALIZE...
SO HERE’S THE TRUTH...


RYLAN: I used to believe that all life should be fair because everyone is equal. Earlier, I had to walk the dog, but my brothers before me didn't do their job. When everyone takes turns doing something but the people before you don't do it, you still have to do it. So here's the truth: Life isn't fair.

ELI (wants to make clear that this essay is not based on a true story): I didn’t think I needed to wear deodorant. But then I took a whiff of my armpits. I said, “Ewww.” I was pretty stinky. So here's the truth: You should always wear deodorant.

COLE: Listen, here’s what you need to know about life. I always believed that if it’s easier for someone else to stop than for you to stop, they should be the one to stop. For example, my brother Eli annoyed me constantly, so I always yelled at him to stop. He never would. My parents told me that the only way I could solve the issue was to stop being annoyed. This helped me to realize that no matter how many times I yelled at Eli, it wouldn’t change anything. So here’s the truth: You can’t control what other people do.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...