Friday, December 12, 2014

On working full time

In my ideal world, parents would only work 30 hours a week instead of 40. Combined they'd get paid for a 60 hour week - more than the 40 hours an individual would work but so much more manageable than the 80 hours of two typical full time employees.

Similarly, sometimes I think about how much better off the world would be if every household had one person working full time and one person staying at home. Better for the environment. Better for relationships.

Before I went back to work...
  • Dinner got made every night, which meant less trash and less factory farmed food.
  • The house was always clean and the laundry actually got done.
  • Michael and I both had more hours for freetime.
  • The weekend was spent relaxing, rather than hustling to get chores done.
Things I've figured out since I started working:

  • I have our groceries delivered through a company called Papa Spuds. They provide locally grown produce, milk, eggs, and meat, and it's delivered once a week right to our front door. It's the best thing in the world.
  • I have the boys sorting their own laundry - both dirty and clean.
Things I have not figured out:
  • when to clean the house
  • how to balance getting stuff done on the weekends with getting to spend time relaxing and enjoying each other's company
  • how to get enough sleep

2 comments:

  1. So if you had a choice which would you pick? I would like to get dressed up every morning and go to work with other grownups but I can't see how it would possibly work and still enjoy our same quality of life. Guess I'm taking a hit for the team on this too.... (seems to be a re-accuring theme)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've thought so many times about going back to work, but every time it has come back to the fact that I don't know how to get it all done. Maybe in a few years when my kids are older you'll have it completely figured out and can give me some tips and coach me through it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...