Sunday, April 25, 2010

Making Applesauce

Organic apples were on sale at Kroger last week for $1/lb, so I bought 50 pounds and made applesauce and apple chips. I bought a Victorio strainer, a water bath canner, and a dehydrator off of Craigslist a few months ago, and this was my first time using them.

Rylan helped by eating apples.

Eli helped by cutting apples with a special knife that my sister bought for him. I started out cutting and coring the apples, but after the first batch, I discovered that my strainer would remove all of the skin and seeds for me. Best Craigslist purchase ever!

Rylan took a stab at cutting.

The water bath canner was not the best Craigslist purchase ever. It doesn't seem big enough for quart jars (the jars are only covered by 1/2 inch or so of water instead of the 1 to 2 inches in the instructions), which is really weird since I bought about 50 quart jars from the same lady I bought the canner from. The processing still seemed to work anyway - judging by the ol' pressing on the lid test. We haven't tried eating any yet though, so we'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...