Sunday, October 31, 2010

H A Double L O...

Halloween around here started on Friday morning with a trip to every thrift store in the vicinity to try to find a vampire cape for Cole. Instead, I found a bunkbed. No pictures because the lighting in that room stinks, and anyway pictures of bunkbeds are no fun. But you'll have to trust me that it's a mighty fine thrift store bunk bed, and all members of this household are happy to have more space in the boys' room.

We never found a cape, but we did find a very polyester black skirt that was quickly modified into a vampire cape. He makes a handsome vampire:

halloween

halloween

Earlier this week, the boys and I made bows and arrows out of sticks and rubber bands, which inspired Eli to be Robin Hood for Halloween. Then Rylan announced that he wanted to be Robin Hood too, so I made him be Friar Tuck. But if you ask him, he'll tell you that he was "Friar Tuck Robin Hood."

halloween

halloweenhalloween

halloweenhalloween
You may recognize the Robin Hood costume from a couple years ago (cleverly disguised as "Peter Pan.")

Last night was our church's trunk or treat. Holy cow. Some people really get into Halloween. I am not one of them. But we enjoyed the festivities and the candy, and Michael entered the Death Star into the pumpkin-carving contest. He didn't win, but I think it's just because no one could tell what it was supposed to be. He needed a sign.

Michael's star wars pumpkin

Michael took these pictures, and he couldn't figure out how to take good pictures of jack o'lanterns. I told him to look it up today, but his pumpkin had already started decaying by this afternoon. :(

Michael's star wars pumpkin

Tonight we skipped the trick or treating and did our usual journal time with Blood and Bones as the treat. Only, since I'm weird, I decided to try using beets to dye the milk instead of the red food coloring. It didn't work as well, but if you are looking for a dye-free way to give your kids an authentic Charlie and Lola experience, beets boiled in milk makes very convincing "pink milk."

1 comment:

  1. great costumes!
    I don't know what Death Star is (but Stephan just told me), but it looks like it took a ton of time to do. I figured out that our pumpkins looked better with our flash off.
    fun post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...