Sunday, July 24, 2011

Books I've Read More than Once

Michael has been re-reading all of his favorite books recently. I rarely ever read a book more than once. Since hundreds of thousands of books are published every year and I've only got at most 70 years to go (though, please God, don't make me hang around that long), I don't have time to go back and re-read. That's why I like when they make books into movies - I can enjoy the stories multiple times condensed into a nice manageable two hours.

Still, watching Michael re-read his favorites got me thinking about what books I have read more than once. These are the ones I could think of:

Children's books
  • The Giver
  • Chronicles of Chrestomanci
  • Johnny Tremain
  • From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
  • A Hidden Magic
  • The Westing Game
  • The Hero and the Crown (many times)
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond
  • The Bronze Bow
  • The Chronicles of Narnia (The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe many times, all the others twice)
  • A Wrinkle in Time trilogy (The first and last many times, the second only a few. A Swiftly Tilting Planet was my favorite book as a child.)
Adult books
  • Wuthering Heights (three or four times - loved it when I was younger, like it less and less the older I get)
  • To Kill a Mockingbird
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • Moby Dick (not by choice)
  • Rebecca
  • The Cheerleader
  • Menfreya in the Morning
  • About a Boy
  • Pride and Prejudice (many times)
  • A Room with a View (once a year - my favorite book ever)
  • The Book Thief (just re-read)
It's possible that I've re-read other Jane Austen books, but I can't remember for sure now. I've also skimmed through the Anne of Green Gables books multiple times and Twilight more than I'd like to admit.

So that's approximately 22 books. 3/4 of them I read and re-read when I was a teenager.

I estimate that I've read 600 books since I was 12. That might be a low estimate. So 22 books out of 600 that I've read more than once. That's pretty crazy!

3 comments:

  1. Just thought of another - The Catcher in the Rye

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read the entire Anne of GG series at least yearly since I was a tween! Tried to read room with a view a few months ago with no luck- maybe i should try the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jessica - Be forewarned that the movie has male nudity in it. And not even in a good way - they're running around naked looking like idiots.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...